photo by Erin Clow
I believe we all have sacred gifts that make our world a better and brighter place. However, in the midst of daily life, stress creates obstacles in the body and mind, and shades the divine light of our soul’s creative glow.
This piece offers self-care sacraments to help you step into the spotlight of your heart, so you shine and share your awesome gifts with the world. They are simple daily practices to stoke and kindle your creative spark.
As an Ayurveda Lifestyle Coach, I believe daily self-care routines are key to maintaining physical and mental/emotional health. As an artist and writer, I feel personal, holy practices enrich and expand one’s creativity.
I ‘ve always been naturally attracted to rituals. They are vital to self-care and creative expansion. As a writer who experiences creative doubts and droughts, creative rituals help me survive and thrive on the artist’s adventure path.
Sacred rituals help me create an authentic soul adventure. They blaze the path that always ushers me to the seat of my soul and shapes me to become a writer who believes in miracles and trusts the divine flow and plan for my life.
So with a little inspiration from my Catholic roots, I offer some suggestions to help stoke your heart’s creative fire and shine your unique light and magic into the world.
The Seven Sacraments to Shining Creative Magic
1. Baptism. A new creative idea is a birth of divine magic becoming incarnate in a story, painting, book, quilt, song, necklace, or garden. It’s important to bless and consecrate new creative ideas. Light a candle, dip in the ocean, or spritz this Ceremonial Blend essential oil spray in your home. Offer creative works to humanity as a sacred gift to make us all feel more hope, inspiration and joy.
2. Communion. I love this word. It makes me feel embraced and part of BIG love. I’m grateful for my community of family and friends. I love to commune with my soul by seeking silence in nature. Creative energy is sustained when we seek communion with solitude, as well as hang out with those who cheer us on. Communion with purusha, the supreme unmanifested space of pure divine creative potential, creates BIG magic. I do this via breath meditation and stillness in nature. Crows and California quails give the most inspiring sermons.
3. Confession. The word “sin” originates from Greek and Hebrew words meaning “to miss the mark”. The demons of fear, doubt, and bullshit cause me to miss my mark of opening my journal and/or sharing my writing. Just admitting I feel fear or self-criticism is a sacred act of surrendering to the divine magic and flow for my life. Such absolution invites a creative revolution.
4. Confirmation. Each day I need to check in with my heart and, via affirmations or prayer, confirm I will show up as a writer. Literally, confirm my reservation at my writer’s desk. I keep notes of encouragement in my writing space. They are from folks who are my creative angel sponsors and help me keep writing and walking the artist’s path.
5. Marriage. Saying “I do” to God’s sacred and wonderful plan for my life. To promise I will write in fear and in doubt, and share my creative gifts with others, til death do I part. Also to promise I will share my stories with the world, as an offering, and not an assignment for myself or others.
6. Holy Orders. It’s vital to trust one’s intuition and feelings instead of being swayed and silenced by others’ opinions and criticism. I believe intuition arises at the junction of my heart and God’s plan for my life, helping me navigate the sacred map for my soul’s job on earth.
7. Last Rites. Say adios to mental obstacles that cause sudden or a long, slow, cruel death to creativity. Fear, doubt, criticism, judgment, procrastination, perfection, worry, and comparison are total creative groove busters. Write down what blocks your creative flow, then burn that piece of paper and place the ashes in your garden. Plant flower seeds in that space and cultivate, grow, and blossom new life.
Amen, yeehaw, & giddy up!
Dear fellow brave, crazyheart, love warrior, genius, creative beings, I invite you to put your own creative design on these suggestions. Have fun stoking the creative fire in your heart. Then, step into the spotlight of your heart and offer your gifts to the world. We all await your brilliant, beautiful light.