Welcome to day 37 of our #40DaysOfSelfCareAdventure! Today’s tip is PAMPER.
Of the 5 vital elements of self-care, pamper is my favorite, and yet it’s often the one that goes by the wayside. In the hurry-scurry of the week’s activities, I tell myself I don’t have time to receive a pedicure or have the funds for a Shangri-La Body Treatment at the Ojai Valley Inn.
And yet, it’s ultimately not the time or money spent on pampering that contributes to effective and enjoyable self-care. It’s actually the small, daily acts of tender loving care that best nourish the body and make one feel ah-mazing.
During our 40 days of self-care journey, I’ve been making a list of simple items and activities that make me feel tranquil, decadent, and blissful. I’ve dubbed this list my Fabulous Feast of Tiny Morsels.
1. Fresh flowers. Sunflowers from Trader Joes or bouquets from the Santa Barbara farmer’s markets.
2. New bottle of nail polish. Just reading the names of the different polish makes me smile. Biscayne Blue. Vero Beach Violet. Good As Gold. Incognito In Sausalito.
3. Hiring the neighbor boy to clean my loo, mop floors and clean the fridge. He loves the quick and easy cash. I love coming home to a clean house.
4. Treating myself to a nice bottle of Straus Organic Milk. I LOVE the decadence of the glass bottle and thick cream on top. I will spoon off the cream and either enjoy it neat, or on fresh berries. And these awesome family farmers are nice to their cows. They pamper their cows, giving them cushioned cow mats and natural bedding.
5. Happy hour sunsets with friends. My backyard abuts a gorgeous 10-acre county meadow. A pristine parcel of land that nobody else in our neighborhood frequents or knows about. My neighbor and I will hike up the small hill and watch the sunset. Wine and snacks. Friends and laughter. Big sighs as we watch the sky tuck the sun into the Santa Ynez mountains while songbirds sing evening lullabies.
In closing, here is a poem by Derek Walcott. I met him whilst in college when he spoke at the University of Notre Dame. Little did I know back then, this poem would be my lighthouse in times when I lapsed into a pattern of neglecting my self-care. This poem always gently guides me back to my heart.
So folks, indulge in tiny morsels of delights and treats today. Pamper yourself until you are comfortably full of love and peace.
Today’s Self-Care Adventure: Lavish attention and affection towards yourself today. Have fun remembering and discovering the tiny morsels of self-care that make you feel tranquil, decadent, and blissful. Also, make a list of the items for your Fabulous Feast of Tiny Morsels.