Shrug the Bug
Stay healthy during cold and flu season using Ayurveda and Yoga!
The first goal in Ayurvedic healthcare is maintaining a strong immune system, which basically puts up a “no vacancy” sign to the winter crud critters. Maintaining optimal immunity during cold and flu season can be easy and enjoyable when you know the right remedies and recipes.
So I’m sharing with you some of my favorites that I’ve used and my clients swear by. And, should you come down with a cold or get bit by the bug, I’ve also listed effective healing tips for a faster recovery time.
Maintain Optimal Lung and Sinus Health
- Use neti pot regularly, especially after airline travel. If salt water is too drying, use “Clear and Soothe”sinus spray. The spray is travel friendly and easy to use.
- Do “Bellows Breath” in morning and evening. See www.kellenbrugman.com/pranayama for instructions.
- Yoga poses like supported bridge to boost energy to lungs.
Common Cold Ayurvedic Remedies and Recipes
Sinus and Lung Congestion
- Chop ½ tsp. fresh chopped ginger and drizzle with 1 tsp. honey. Eat. Sip warm water. Do 2-3 times a day.
- Ayurvedic Herbal decongestant as suggested by qualified Ayurvedic Practitioner.
- Bellows Breath.
Cough and Sore Throats
- Avoid cold drinks. Favor warm herbal teas with cardamom, ginger, licorice, cinnamon, and clove.
- The best throat remedy ever! Maharishi Ayurveda “Clear Throat”. It reduces excess phlegm and chest congestion, and soothes a sore throat.
- Salt and turmeric in warm water gargle. Mix 1/8 tsp. each and stir in 4 oz warm water. Gargle 2-3 times a day.
Maintain Optimal Digestive Health
- A flu bug won’t easily take down the digestive system that is kept stoked by a diet consisting mainly of fresh, organic home cooked vegetarian foods. Cook with fresh ginger root, and vata and kapha pacifying herbs such as black mustard seed, black pepper, turmeric, cayenne, oregano and thyme.
- On cloudy cool damp winter days, minimize dairy and heavy sweets, especially after 7pm.
- Prevention is the best remedy. Support natural immunity and optimal digestive function with “Digest Tone”.
Seasonal Flu Ayurvedic Remedies And Recipes
- Sip fresh ginger tea throughout the day. Use ½ tsp. – 1 tsp. sliced ginger in 8-10 oz. hot water.
- Favor a mono-diet, like broth soups or kitchari.
Achy Breaky All Over
- Ginger and baking soda warm baths. (2/3 c. baking soda and ¼ c. ginger powder). A soak in tub is as good as a muscle rub. Add lavender drops and enjoy a soothing, pain removing Ayurvedic spa treatment.
- After bath, put 15-20 drops of either Olbas Oil or “Sniffle Free Aroma” herbal oil in 4 oz. of base oil (sesame, coconut, jojoba) and massage into sore areas of body. Wrap up in your favorite robe or loungewear and kick back with a cup of herbal tea.
Boosting Immune System With An At-Home Cleanse
This is an excellent time to detox with a home cleanse. It clears the digestive and elimination systems of toxins, and rejuvenates the digestive fire. Contact me directly if you are interested in doing an at-home cleanse. I’ve created 3, 5 and 7 day cleanses for clients, using yoga, Ayurvedic remedies and herbs, pranayama, and marma massage to support the body with an easy, effective, and enjoyable cleanse.
Avoid going viral this year by integrating Ayurveda and yoga into your daily routine. Give me a shout if you have any questions or wish to consult more. Hope this cold and flu season brings you hugs, not bugs. Stay healthy!
Note: Save 10% on Maharishi Ayurveda products when using
special savings code, “brugman10″.